Sunday, March 2, 2008

Why Homeschool? II

I of course would have to say my main reason for home schooling was Gods insistent calling. There are many more however. One giant reason for us to come back to homeschooling was my children's frustration with the amount of time lost to them each day. Between transporting them to and from school, then the long day at school and the homework that followed. We never had time to relax or play or to simply have time with each other. Devin my oldest said to me, "Mom we never have time to play." They would get home, change, do their homework, eat, and maybe have a half hour of playtime before bed. If it was bath night that was gone too. I am sure if any of you have children at school this is a familiar scenario to you. Our frustration was most pronounced because we knew what a home school day entails. Of course the day for a Kinder garter is much shorter than a third grader. However my kids still have recess, lunch , music, gym, and all basic subjects between 9 am and 2:30 pm. Scheduling has become our saving grace and if they don't finish a subject within the allotted time frame they have homework that eats into their free time. It has proven to be an effective schedule that all of us have thrived under.
I read a book that was a great help to me many years ago however it wasn't until this year I found a effective way of executing it. A Mothers Rule of Life by Holly Pierot

http://mothersruleoflife.com

2 comments:

RJ said...

There is a great peace in knowing that my children are in the hands of an educator, who is not only concerned with their matriculation but also with their salvation. Who loves them as much as, if not more than, I do. And who is committed to both their moral and social development as much as you are. Thank you.

Ruthie said...

I'm glad you have found a purpose in life that you feel so strongly about and I admire your determination to give your kids what you feel is the very best. kudos, Kelli. :)

As many conversations as we've had on homeschooling in the past, it's funny that I would not be homeschooling myself (especially considering it is the prevailing trend in my family). I have just as strong of reasons that I am glad to have my kids experiencing public school, although that does not mean I would never bring them back home in the years to come. We've had a positive experience with the people we encountered in the public schools. Hmmmm, maybe I'll blog on this too. :)