Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Abortion

So I have mentioned that I will soon be the mother to six children in late may. Actually I hate wording it that way. I am the mother to six children and have been since I found out last October that I was pregnant with the six child. I feel and immediate sense of responsibility and protectiveness to the children in my womb. This may help explain why.
I have worked hard to be educated on the issue of abortion. But, having that knowledge has made me distrustful of the medical community at large. I have exposed myself to things that most people I know openly admit they don't have the stomach to know let alone see. The reality of abortion is terrifying to me. I have seen pictures of an actual abortion as it was performed, looked at the dismembered remains of the fetus' little bodies. Talked with and read the stories of the woman who have had abortions and how it affected them. This for me has always been more that a simple political issue.
After my second child was born I believe God reached out to me in an unusual way. Anytime I was in the quiet I could hear something. At first I thought maybe it was my imagination or the neighbors TV. After a while it grew louder. They were screams. The screams of women and babies. The screams I heard weren't normal 'oh you scared me screams' or ' I'm a hungry baby cries' these were the screams of brutality. Screams that make your hair stand on end and your stomach turn . It was so bad I left the TV on all day. I finally went to church to ask my godfather a Augustinian monk for his advice. He told me to pray for those in pain. God was giving me a job. God was calling me.
Abortion has so much more to do with how our society has failed these women and their children. I have offered on occasions that have presented themselves to adopt unexpected babies in each situation the parents decided to keep them. My dream is to one day open my home to women who need help getting through their pregnancies and helping them learn how to care for themselves and their babies while getting educations and employment. Until then I pray. I pray for the women, the babies, the nurses, the people who work at the abortion mills and most especially the doctors who perform them. I can only imagine how badly their souls must need the Lords hand.
This issue has called for much stress in my family life. My husband has been teaching me over the years the value of being able to discuss it without becoming upset or being judgemental. I have to say that although I have made improvements its very difficult to know so much and still remain calm. To those of you who may feel differently than I, or who simply would like to know more I recommend that you look into medical journals that give details about the developing fetus or just go to a website that offers a play by play of a pregnancy. Then go to the some medical journal and look up the descriptions of how each of the different types of abortion are preformed. The Internet is full of information, there really is no reason why anyone shouldn't know the realities. http://www.priestforlife.com/ is a good place to start if you want to get very specific in your information. Be warned however that they saved a large number of disposed bodies from an abortion mill dumpster in Chicago and documented each child. They have a link with a warning included if your not ready for that. I know that this issue is one that is a hot button but I can't help but feel that unless we talk about the problems in our world it is impossible to solve them. So this is me reaching out to you.
Christ peace be with each of you.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Great post, Kelli. I know this is somthing you feel stronglyly about. In most cases, there are alternatives to abortion...especially late-term abortion. And you're right to say to say the cries are not only from the children, but the mothers, too.
Abortion generates a lot of contraversy, and as stomach-turning as it is, deserves deeper thought. Not every circumstance is the same. What is your view on ectopic pregnancy? I have a friend who recently suffered one and had to have surgery...lost her fallopian tube and ovary...and of course, the baby...as you can imagine it was a very sad and traumatic thing for her to go through.
I am personally convinced that the problem is so much deeper than legislation can solve...
Education, as in all things, is so important! The root of so many societal problems is spiritual...I think you will agree!
I better stop now :) love, love love!

Kelli said...

Ruthie,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on this blog. I honesty did not exspect anyone to due to its nature. Etopic pregnancy is something I have feared more than anyother health condition in my adult life. The reason is because there is no possible way to save the baby. I also have a cousin who suffered from this tramatic experiance. My heart bled for her. Your right this topic is gut wretching that is why I feel that I have to do my part to help find a solution.
Peace to you my friend.